“Wonderwall” is the best British song of all time, according to the listeners of Radio X.
Oasis utterly dominated the results of the poll, occupying all four of the top positions: “Don’t Look Back In Anger” came in at number two; “Champagne Supernova” at three; “Live Forever” at four.
“What can I say? The people have spoken” Noel Gallagher commented.
He added: “The fact that there wasn’t one single Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds song in the top20 makes me think the whole thing is a mockery of an unreliable sham! Saying that though I’m thrilled.”
Surprisingly, The Beatles didn’t even crack the top10: “Hey Jude” was voted number thirteen and “A Day In The Life” number nineteen.
Here is the full list:
- Wonderwall – Oasis
- Don’t Look Back In Anger – Oasis
- Champagne Supernova – Oasis
- Live Forever – Oasis
- I Am The Resurrection – The Stone Roses
- I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor – Arctic Monkeys
- Heroes – David Bowie
- Life On Mars? – David Bowie
- Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve
- Gimme Shelter – The Rolling Stones
- One Day Like This – Elbow
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen
- Hey Jude – The Beatles
- Common People – Pulp
- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
- Slide Away – Oasis
- Fool’s Gold – The Stone Roses
- How Soon Is Now – The Smiths
- A Day In The Life – The Beatles
- Love Will Tear Us Apart – Joy Division